'''FAMILY NAME:''' liliaceae
'''BOTANICAL NAME:''' Aloe vera, aloe barbadensis
'''PARTS USED:''' Roots, flowers
'''Uses of aloe vera: '''
The uses of aloe vera are grouped below;
1. It is used for X-ray burns, Dermatitis, Cutaneous and disorder of skins. The juice of aloe vera is used as a tonic for curing diseases like jaundice, ameneorrhoea, atonic and piles. The aloe vera gel woks like wonder in healing of wounds, ulcers, burns, itchiness, etc.
2. Aloe vera can also be used externally. It can be applied in wounds and sores, blemishes, dandruffs. It also softens the skin on a cosmetic level.
3. Dried aloe latex,a substance derived from the leaf is a strong laxative can be used from stomach disorders.
Aloe vera products are obtained in different forms-aloe vera gel, ointment, salve or lotion, liquid drink concentrate and encapsulated powder. It can be used externally or internally as the condition demands.
Aloe vera is a member of a lily family. There are all total 200 types of aloe vera. The type which has the most importance that is nutritional and therapeutic properties is Aloe Vera Barbadensis Miller. A gel is obtained from the part of the leaf serves as a very important part in the field of medicines while the upper part of the leaf has a strong laxative that is generally removed.
BENEFITS: The benefits of aloe vera gel are:-
1. '''Pain inhibitor –'''It reduces the pain and therefore gives relief to the wounded area.
2. '''Anti-inflammatory-'''It dose not catch fire. In short it is not inflammable.
3. '''Anti-allergenic-''' It has a natural way of curing problems. Thus it is not allergic.
4. '''Healing action-''' It heals the wounds quickly and it does not contain excessive chemicals.
5. '''Keratolic action – '''It removes damaged skin, replacing it with new skin cells.
6. ''''Antibiotic action '''- It is both anti-microbial and anti-viral and anti- fungal.
7. '''Energiser –''' It energizes the skin.
8. '''Digestive-'''It helps in stomach disorders.
9. '''Detoxification –'''It helps to flush out the toxins of the body.
10. '''Rehydrates the skin''' - is excellent for sunburn.
11. ''''Natural cleanser '''- ''' It contains saponins that act as a natural cleanser.
12. ''''Anti-pyratic '''-''' It reduces excess heat of body.
13. '''Anti-pruretic –'''It reduces irritation and itching.
14. '''Nutritional –''' It contains over 75 known active ingredients, (probably many more), 19 of the 20 amino acids required by the human body and 7 of the 8 essential amino acids that the body can't produce itself.
'''NOTE:''' Aloe Vera Barbadensis Miller has no known side effects