Distance education is gaining popularity in India, because of improvement in technology and internet connectivity. Universities in India are now able to offer various UG, PG and other professional courses through distance learning. Among these is the Engineering course, which is widely offered course through distance education. Distance education for engineering course is the best option for those students who cannot attend the classroom session.
Distance learning plays a very important role for students who want to take up engineering course at their choice of university. There are various centres that are approved by the university and students by visiting their nearest centre can attend the classes through video conference. Students can clear all their doubts to their faculty present at the centre.
Students can get all the study material of engineering courses at the learning centre. Apart from it, they can also pay the application form and the course fees through online to the respected engineering college. All the project works that are essential in the engineering course are done on the university centre. Distance Education Engineering includes interaction of students and teacher through computer or can be said as E-Learning.
Eligibility for Distance Education Engineering in India
The eligibility criteria for the engineering course depend on the course taken up by the student. The minimum qualification for the engineering course is 10+2 from any recognized state board. Apart from it, any student who has completed 3yr diploma course relevant to engineering field can also apply for engineering course. Some universities conducts online entrance test for students taking engineering course through distance education on the basis of which students are admitted.
Courses offered in Distance Education Engineering in India
- B.Tech (Civil, Electronics, Mechanical, Computer Science, Chemical) 4yrs
- M.Tech (Aerospace, Applied Mechanics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical) 2yrs
- PG Course (Design & Construction, Applied Operation Research) 1yr
- Diploma Course (Concrete Technology, Construction Management, Instrumentation) 1yr
- Advance Diploma offered in BITS Pilani (Water Resource) 1yr
- For B.E course from IGNOU= Rs 25,000/- and Advance Certificate course= Rs 12,500/-
- For B.E course from Annamalai University
B.E Civil (4yrs) Rs 15865/-
B.E Mechanical (3yrs) Rs 20665/-
B.E Computer Science (2yrs) Rs 23165/-
B.E (IT) (1yr) Rs 29780/-
The information about fees for distance education engineering of rest of universities can be taken from course prospectus.
Institutes/Universities offering Distance Education Engineering Courses and Programs in India
In India there are almost universities that offer engineering courses to students, but there are very few that offers engineering through distance learning. Below are the lists of some:
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- IGNOU, New Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Anantpur
- Anna University, Chennai
- Madras University, Chennai
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Thapar University, Punjab
- Rai University, New Delhi
- School of Distance Education, Vishakhapatnam
- Janardhan Rai Nagar Vidyapeeth University, Rajasthan
- Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh
Above mentioned universities offer distance education engineering through their centre that are located across India. This is beneficial for students, especially from rural areas who can complete their engineering in less fees compare to regular attending fees.