PAN is a unique number provided to every individual in India for the purpose of income tax filing. PAN card serves as a proof of identification for an individual. So you have to take immense care while filling in the application.
Do’s of PAN form:
• Please use “Form 49A” for applying PAN.
• Fill the application in block letters and if possible using black ink.
• AO code is very important. AO code for defence employee: Army –“PNE W 55 3” Navy – “MUM W 11 8” Air Force – “DEL W 72 2”.
• Also attach Identity and Address Proof.
• A copy of the identity and address proof should be attached.
• It is important to quote the details of the Representative for the Assessee (if any) in the 14th column of the form. This applies only in certain cases like the applicant is Minor, Mentally retarded etc.,
• In the above mentioned case the address and identity proof of the Representatives should be submitted.
• The address should be mentioned including the landmark and PINCODE.
• Paste a passport size colour photograph.
• Signature should be within the box.
• Thumb impression should be attested by Magistrate /Notary Public /Gazetted Officer, with official seal and stamp.
• Finally do not forget to write the contact number and e- mail address if you have any in the application.
Don’ts of PAN form:
• Abbreviation and Initials should not be mentioned.
• Photograph should not be stapled.
• Address and Identity proof should not be in any other name.
• Any other additional details should not be mentioned.
• Women should not write Husband’s name in father’s name column.
• Signature should not be across the box.
• No correction should be made in the application.
• Application for new pan card if PAN is allotted will not be accepted.