In foreign relations affairs embassy refers to permanent diplomatic mission. Embassies function as a contact point between the visiting and hosting nation. Embassy help different countries to reach solutions to problems related to trade and politics. The embassy has staff representatives of the foreign service of the visiting nation, who perform different consul, administrative, political and economical functions. These different officials of the French embassy look after different matters like taxes, tariffs, political conditions, visa issues, traveling issues and other administrative matters. The head of the French Embassy is the ambassador who is a representative of the country and looks after all the matters of the embassy. The consulate provides almost the same functions as that of the embassy only without the banner of operating the diplomatic aegis of the respective country. The head of the consulate is called the consul general.
In India the Embassies of France are located in the main metropolitan cities of the country, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai.
Below given are the address and the contact of the embassies in India:
French embassy New Delhi
- Address: Chanakyapuri city, 2/50-E Shanti Path Street
- Tel: +91 11 2419-6100
- Work: +91 11 2419-6169
- Web: http://www.france-in-india.org
French Consulate General in Mumbai
- Address: Datta Prasad building 2nd floor10 Nowroji Gamadia Cross road- off, Peddar road, Mumbai 400026
- Tel: 495 09 18, 495 18 70
- Fax: 495 03 12
French Consulate General in Kolkata
- Address: 26 Park Mansions, Park Street - PO box 9034, Kolkata 700016
- Tel: 245 73 00
- Fax: 245 73 01
French Consulate in Chennai
- Address: 40, College Road, Chennai - 600 006.
- Contact Info: 91-44-2826 6561, 91-44-2827 0469.