The Golden Temple of Amritsar is in the holy city of Amritsar,Punjab in North West India and is the most sacred and the frequented of the Sikhs shrines in India as well as in Pakistan.
[Freelinking: unknown plugin indicator "Image"]
What to see Golden Temple
Within the premises is the ‘Akal Takht’ (The Immortal Throne) where the Gurus held court. Decisions concerning the religious and social life are taken here. The Golden Temple is visited by hundreds of devotee’s everyday.
Inside Golden temple there are multi-colored embellishments in patterns on the marble surface and the ceiling. The temple is open day and night for visitors. The interiors are inlaid, bejeweled, lavishly gilded, and mirrored which add to the shrines beauty.
Devotee’s can hear melodious ‘Kirtan’ or prayer songs from the 'Gurbani' all through the day. Tourists can watch and hear the original copy of the Sikh's Holy Scripture being read out by the priests from morning till evening.
Most parts of the temple are covered in gilded golden sheets, which have given the place its name. On the Gloden sheets are inscribed words from the sacred Granth Sahib.
The original copy of the Granth Sahib (holy book of the Sikhs) is kept within the temple and is taken out during ceremonial occasions.
Best time to visit
October to January is the best time to visit, when the place is very pleasant.
Traveling to Golden Temple, Amritsar
- The International Airport in Amritsar is about 11 km from the city center, there are regular flights to and fro from Delhi, but these days there are plenty of international connections too.
- There are plenty of train connections to the city too. The Shatabdi Express is the fastest connection from Delhi. There are other daily trains to most other cities of India. Train tickets can be booked online or at the station or even at the booking office in the Golden Temple Complex.
- Many people drive down to Amritsar especially from Delhi, the journey from Delhi is 6-7 hours. Roads are good and taxis and long distance car services are also available.
Amritsar has plenty of bus services from other major cities and the northern areas of the country. There are daily direct buses to Jammu, Katra, New Delhi, Chandigarh, Dharamsala, etc.
More about Golden Temple
As a reverence all devotees need to cover their head whether male or female, you also have to wash your feet at the entrance and remove your shoes.
Visit the temple once definitely in the evenings to see the lighting.
Be careful of hawkers trying to sell you different head covers as well as other knick knacks.
There are several devotional souvenirs and Guru Nanak knick-knacks that you can buy.
CDs of temple chants, and Punjabi devotional music are available in the near by shops in the vicinity of the temple.
Food at Golden Temple
Every kind of food from Indian to Chinese is available near the temple too.
Budget Hotels near golden temple
- Hotel Le Golden, 1000-00 INR
- Hotel Golden Tower, 1100INR
- Hotel Temple View, 1000-00 INR
Since Amritsar is a major city all the facilities and modern amenities can be found here.