==[[Where-Register-Marriage|Hindu Marriage Act]] in India==
* The 18th '''Law Commission''' was reconstituted on 1 September 2006 for a period of three years with '''Hon’ble Justice A. R. Lakshamanan''' as its '''Chairman'''.
* The '''[[Personal-Laws-India|Child Marriage Restrain Act, 1929]]''', from 1 October 1978, provides that marriage age for males will be 21 years and for females 18 years.
* The '''[[Where-Register-Marriage|Hindu Marriage Act]]''', 1955, which extends to the whole of '''[[India]]''', except the '''State of Jammu and Kashmir''', applies to '''Hindus''', '''Budddhists''', '''Sikhs''', '''Jains''' and also to those who are not '''Muslims''', '''Christians''', '''Parsis''' or '''Jews''' by religion.
* '''Divorce''' can be sought by a husband or a wife under these Acts fall under these broad heads: Adultery, desertion, cruelty unsoundness of mind, veneral disease, leprosy, mutual consent and being not heard of as alive for 7 years.
* Foreigners, who want to adopt Indian children have to approach the court under the '''[[Personal-Laws-India|Guardians and Wards Act, 1890]]'''.
* The '''[[Personal-Laws-India|Hindu Minority and Guardianship Act, 1956]]''': It lays down that a child is a minor until the age of 18 years. Natural guardian for both boys and unmarried girl is first the father and then the mother.
* Prior right of mother has a better claim than the putative father.
* Under the '''Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)''', right of maintenance extends not only to the vote and dependent children, but also to indigent parents and divorced wives.
* '''[[Personal-Laws-India|National Tax Tribunal Act, 2005]]''' had been brought into force w.e.f 28 December 2005. However, due to court cases the tribunal has not yet become functional.