The process of application for duplicate Indian passport:
If your passport is lost, damaged or stolen then all one has to do is apply for it along with necessary documents or a representative having an authority letter can apply, and it is easy to get a duplicate Indian passport, it takes about six to eight weeks to avail the duplicate passport. For emergency need to travel the tatkal scheme is available where to get a duplicate passport one has to wait only seven to ten days.
For emergency travelling like serious illness in the family or death then one can avail the limited validity passport if a special request is been made to the passport officer explaining to him the nature of urgency for travelling with all the necessary proof provided your passport is stolen. Individual who have submitted the duplicate copies of the lost passport then only the special validity passport is issued to them.
The required necessary documents are:
1. Duplicate passport application form which is similar to new passport application.
2. Address proof (if available old passport copy)
3. Two passport size photographs
4. Date of birth proof
5. Photocopies of educational qualification certificates
6. FIR (police certificate) and receipt
7. Emergency letter for tatkal
8. Notary for loss of passport (if applying for tatkal another rotary is required)
For issuance of duplicate passport 36 pages is Rs. 2500/- and 60 pages is Rs. 3000/-. Additional fees for Tatkal is Rs. 2500/-.