Before applying for duplicate copy of Life Insurance policy documents, be sure to thoroughly check all possible places where you keep important documents or even with your entrusted LIC agent. Make sure the policy has not been pledged for any loans from LIC or other financial institutions.
The duplicate copy of the LIC policy documents confers on the owner or Insured the same privileges and rights as original. The requirements for obtaining a duplicate policy are as follows:
1. At cost of the Insured, an advertisement must be placed in widely circulated English daily newspaper. Within 30 days after publication a copy of advertisement in newspaper is to be submitted to servicing branch office; thereafter the duplicate copy is issued upon compliance in providing an indemnity bond, charges for stamp fee and duplicate copy preparation.
2. In certain scenarios as mention below the requirement for Indemnity Bond and newspaper advertisement maybe waived:
- Loss caused by theft or during in custody of any government office
- Destruction caused by fire, mutilation, torn policy, missing policy, or partial destruction caused by termites like white ants.
For proof of age, the Life Insurance Corporation of India usually accepts the following:
- Certificates from Municipal Corporations, records showing time of birth
- Baptism Certificates or records extracted from family Bible containing date of birth or age
- Certificate extracts from Service Register for Government employees, Passport issued from Passport Authority of India
- Certificate extract from School and / or college showing date of birth or age