How to perform Surya Namasakara (sun salute)
- Suryanamaskara involves yoga and breathing simultaneously. Thus suryanamaskara is usually done at the time of sunrise or before sunset after passing urine and faeces.
- Before starting Suryanamaskara, one must chant the name of sun like ohm hurm, Suryaya namaha, while doing.
- It is very necessary to have breath control while doing namaskara. one must expand the chest, while inhaling, contract his abdomen during expiration.
- There are twelve postures. However here for daily practice all the twelve are given.
- One has to perform the sun salute one after another with a little break. During that period, one must take a deep breath.
Samasthiti: In salutation position, one should stand straight ith feet together with his arms folded on front to his chest. You have to expand the left chest and ribs.
Tadasana: In raised arm position, one has to extend the arms over his head. Take a deep breath inside. You have to look upwards and breath in till the next pose is started.
Uttanasana: Hand to foot position. As soon as you bring down your arms and hands down to foot, you should exhale slowly in this position. Spine and neck will be lengthened and bent in kyphosis way.
- It is essential not to lock the knees, but to keep shoulders and elbows in a relaxed state.
Aswa sanchalanasana: (Equestrian position)-In this posture, it is necessary to extend the left leg and bend the right knee with both your palms rest on the floor in this pose, one must take a deep breath.
- The spine has to be lifted up and straight in conjunction with his neck and face to the front side.