In India, a debit card is given to the account holder along with the opening of a savings account. There are many bank accounts which have been operational for a very long time. The usage of a debit card was not present in those times. Under such cases the following methodology is used for the application of a debit card.
1. Calling the customer service department and telling them of the requirement.
2. Approaching the bank branch for the debit card.
3. An online application can be sent asking for a debit card.
A few banks make a debit card immediately while the others make a debit card and send it by courier. The applicant gets a separate envelope from the bank which contains the pin no. of the debit card. The applicant now needs to go to an ATM and activate his debit card.
For getting an ATM the following documents will be required by the bank.
1. A Photo Identification like a voters ID, Passport etc.
2. A residential ID like ration card, passport, voter id, Pan Card, driving license etc.
3. Bank details in the form of statement will be required to know the applicant has an account with the bank.
4. Two photographs
Any minor is not authorized to hold a debit card.