The regulations of issue of License are a state subject, but subject to the rules prescribed under Motor Vehicle Act, 1998, uniformly.
As per Tamil Nadu Rules for Licensing:-
Obtain a Learner License for any vehicle, and the following is the age criteria:-
- For Motor cycle not over 50 CC without gear 14 years.
- For Motor cycle not over 50 CC with gear 16 years
- For all vehicle of any type not falling under above 18 years
Apply in person in Forms 1 to 4 and Form 14,the latter only for applicant through driving school, with the following documents.
- Ration Card/Voter ID card/LIC Policy/Passport/EB Bill/Telephone bill/Pay Slip issued by Govt. Departments or a local body/ House Tax Receipt/ School certificate/Birth Certificate/Affidavit given by the Magistrate or Notary Public.
- Birth Certificate/School Certificate/Passport/LIC Policy/Affidavit given the Magistrate or Notary Public/ Certificate issued by Civil Surgeon.
- Passport size colour photo of self.
- Fee of Rs.30.
Once succeeded in getting Learner License, valid for 180 days, one can apply for permanent license after 30 days.
To get permanent License the following needs to be done.
Apply in Forms 4, 5 and 15 (4 and 15 applies only to for
those who underwent training in Driving School)with the following documents.
- Original Learner License.
- Documents of vehicle in which applicant proposes to appear for test of Competence to drive (such as Registration Certificate,Insurance Certificate, Tax Card, Pollution under Control Certificate, Fitness Certificate in case of Transport Vehicle).
- Consent letter from vehicle owner to conduct driving test in his vehicle, if the vehicle is not owned by the applicant.
- Passport size photographs-3 copies (The laminated DL will have the Webcam colour photo of the applicant)
The fee payable is
Rs.250/- for one class only + Service charges.
Service charges Rs.100/- for Non Transport Vehicle.
Service charges Rs.50/ - for Transport Vehicle.