India Development Gateway
- India Development Gateway (InDG) initiative seeks to provide responsive and credible information products and services in local languages to the needs of rural communities.
- During the year 2007 – 08 two more languages (Marathi and Bengali) were added to the multilingual portals.
Broadband Policy 2004
- Recognizing the potential of ubiquitous Broadband service in growth of GDP and enhancement in quality of life through societal applications including tele-education, tele-medicine, e-governance, entertainment as well as employment generation by way of high speed access to information and web-based communication.
- Government have finalized a policy to accelerate the growth of Broadband services.
- It is recognized that the current level of Internet and Broadband access in the country is low as compared to many Asian countries.
- It has been decided that following shall be the framework of the policy.
- Keeping in view the present status, Broadband connectivity is defined at present as “An ‘always-on’ data connection that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and has the capability of the minimum download speed of 256 kilo bits per second (kbps) to an individual subscriber from the Point of Presence (POP) of the service provider.
- The estimated growth for Broadband and Internet subscribers in the country envisaged through various technologies is as follows:
Year Ending Internet Subscribers Broadband Subscriber
2005 6 million 3 million
2007 18 million 9 million
2010 40 million 20 million
- Thus estimated growth for Broadband and Internet subscribers in the country.