Indore was planned and built by Rani Ahilyabai,the brave Holkar Queen.Situated on the banks of the rivers saraswathi and Khan,this bustling and vibrant city derives its name from the 18 th century Indrashewar Temple.It has some interesting monuments associated with the medieval Holkar Dynasty.
How to reach Indore
• Air:Airport is 9 kms from the city.Regular flights to Mumbai,delhi and Bhopal.
• Rail:Indore is on a spur of the Mumbai-Delhi line to Ujjain.Train connections to Bhopal,Bilaspur,Kolkata,Kochi,Mumbai,New Delhi and Ujjain.
• Road:Regular bus services to all important cities in the region.
Sightseeing in Indore
• Lal Bagh:Once the residence of Maharajas,it has now been converted into Museum and cultural centre.
• Chhattri bagh:On the banks of the Khan river,are seven memorials of the Holkar Kings,including that of Malhar Rao Holkar and Rani Ahilyabai.
• Kanch Mandir:Inside this jain temple,thousands of mirrors adore the walls,floor and ceilings.Exquisitly carved Chinese glass-cut lanterns, murals depicting teachings of Jainism and the contemporary life are its other attractions.
• Other places of Intererst:Include Bada Ganapathi, Town Hall, Geeta Bhawan, Rajwada, Annapurna, Khajrana, Kasturba Gram, Bijasen Tekri and Gomatgiri.
Hotels in Indore
The STD CODE of Indoore is 0731
1. Taj residency, adjacent to megadoot gardens,Tel:2557700,Fax:2555355
2. Sayaji,H-1,scheme NO-54,Vijayanagar, Tel:2552121,2555632
3. Sundar, South Tukoganj, Tel:2523314/6
4. Amaltas international,A-B road, Tel:2432631/2
5. Crown Palace ,2A, Kanchanbagh, Tel:2528855
6. Kanchan, 12/2,Dr.S.P.Marg, Kanchan Bagh.Tel:2528501/5
7. Kachan Tilak, M.G.Road, Tilak square Palasia, Tel:2538606-8
8. Mashal, Jhoomer Ghat, Rasalpura, Agra-mumbai road,Tel:2856230