Integral Coach Factory is a famous manufacturing unit of rail coaches.
The Integral Coach Factory often called as ICF was first inaugurated by the former Prime Minister of India Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru in the year 1955. The factory is located at Perambur in Chennai. At the initial stages this coach factory manufactured seven third class railway shells and now it has grown into a unit with a capacity to roll out more than thousands of fully furnished coaches. ICF is an ISO-9000 and ISO-14000 certified company.
Products manufactured by ICF
As a producer of exclusive railway coaches this production unit has become popular to produce all kinds of sophisticated and modern structured railway coaches. So far, integral coach factory has manufactured about 37,000 railway coaches to meet the increasing passenger requirements. Various types of Air-conditioned coaches such as AC chair Cars, AC Sleeper and First Class AC Coaches and Accident Relief Trains, AC/DC EMU train are manufactured at ICF.
Apart from the first and second-class railway coaches the Integral Coach Factory also produces several other railway related products that include Luggage vans, Pantry/kitchen cars, Self propelled coaches, Break vans, Diesel Electric Tower cards, metro coaches, Inspection cars, and Fuel test cars.
The total number of employees involved in the above mentioned production unit at Chennai is around 13,000. This unit has created a record by manufacturing around 1291 passenger coach units for the railways.
Major Achievements in the History of ICF
- Manufacturing of 3 tier Sleepers during the year 1960-1961.
- Export of Bogies to Thailand during 1967.
- Export of Coaches to Taiwan during 1971
- Manufacturing of double Decker coach during 1975
- Manufacturing of Coaches for Calcutta Metro during 1981-1982.
- Export of 32 coaches to Nigeria during 1982-1983.
- Export of 9 MG III class coaches to Bangladesh during 1984-85.
- Manufacturing of overhead equipment maintenance tower car during 1995-96
- ISO 9001 certification during 1996-97
- Manufacture of Air-conditioned Military Ward Car for Indian Army during 1996-97
- Export of 27 coaches to Tanzania during 1997-98.
- Manufacturing of A/C Accident Relief Medical Van during 1999.
- Manufacture of Stainless steel A/C coach during 1999-2000.
- Manufacturing of Garib Rath coach during 2006-2007.
- Export of 41 coaches to Angola during 2006-2007.