Karva Chauth is the festival of the married women observed for the well-being and the long life of their husbands. Unmarried women also keep the fast with the wish of getting desired life partner or groom.
The rituals of the Karva Chauth Vidhi are followed by all the female who fast for this festival.
The festival is celebrated on the 4th day after the full moon of the month of Kartik of the Hindu calendar. This festival is to be observed on the rise of the moon.
Vidhi means the ritual of the festival. To perform the worship the following of the rituals are very important.
The rituals go on something like this:
- Married women who decide to observe the festival fast for the whole day. Before the rise of the sun at the early dawn they eat the Sargi. This Sargi contains fruits and other sweets.
- After having the Sargi they are not allowed to eat anything not even water.
- The Sargi is given to the women by their mother-in-law.
- It also contains puja items, new dress, jewelries which the woman is to wear during the observance of the fast.
- Prior to the day of Karva Chauth the women go for Mehendi which is considered to be very auspicious.
- On the day of Karva Chauth the women wait eagerly for the moon to come out. Prior to that they worship Ambika Gaur Mata or Goddess Parvati and pass the Karva Chauth Thalis in circles among themselves.
- The song is sung 6 times and the circle is also made 6times. The song that is sung during the ritual is:
Veero Kudiye Karwada, Sarv Suhagan Karwada, Aye Katti Naya Teri Naa, Kumbh Chrakhra Feri Naa, Aar Pair payeen Naa, Ruthda maniyen Naa, Suthra Jagayeen Naa, Ve Veero Kuriye Karwara, Ve Sarv Suhagan Karwara.......
- After the completion of the puja and the coming out of the moon the women worship their husbands and break their fasts.