Khajuraho is a famous village situated in the Chatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh. This place is one of the major tourist addresses of Madhya Pradesh. Some of the world famous temples are located in this village.
- Khajuraho was the religious capital of Chandela dynasty one of the most powerful Rajput dynasties of Central India.
- Tourists from all over India and foreign countries visit the place to view these temples which are known for supremely artistic representation of human sexuality in the bygone days and magnificent temple architecture.
- The Khajuraho Dance Festival takes place every year during the spring and this festival celebrates the glory of the temples. The festival is of classical dances is held every year in February or March and continues for one week. It takes place against the spectacular backdrop of the magnificent temples.
- The Khajuraho Dance Festival is a cultural festival that highlights the richness and depth of the different Indian classical dance styles such as Kathak, Bharatnatyam, Odissi, Kuchipudi, Manipuri and Kathakali. The performances are given by of some of the best exponents in the field. Modern Indian dance has also been included lately.
- The dances are performed in an open air auditorium which is in front of the Chitragupta Temple. The Chitragupta temple dedicated to Surya or the Sun God and the Vishwanath Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- The main concept behind organizing this dance festival is to make the heritage of Khajuraho relevant to the present day society and also for the coming generations. This festival is attended by number of tourists. Number of seminars and workshops take place during the Khajuraho Dance festival which is attended by renowned artists and craftsmen.