Life Stages of V-P-K (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) in Ayurveda
- Ayurvedic cycles of the Day as told by Jean – Pierre LeBlanc (of Aroma joy, B.C., Canada).
Kapha 1 Cycle 6:00a.m. – 10:00a.m.
- All movements slow down. If you sleep past 6:00 a.m. it’s harder to get up and you feel groggy. Food eaten now will not digest as well and should be light.
Pitta 1 Cycle 10:00a.m. – 2:00p.m.
- Your metabolism gears up to its highest at 12:00 noon. This is the best time to eat your largest or most concentrated meal and take vitamins for greates absorption.
Vata 1 Cycle 2:00p.m. – 6:00p.m.
- A time of increased movement and activity. Your evening meals should be lighter than lunch. Mental activity and conversation should be lively.
Kapha II cycle 6:00 p.m. – 10:00p.m.
- The energy slows down for bed and rest. Sleep will come easily and quickly. If you don’t go to sleep by 10:00p.m. you toss and turn, especially if you eat late.
Pitta II Cycle 10:00p.m. – 2:00a.m
- Time of active, colorful dreams and deep sleep. If you happen to stay up, your metabolism may get geared up for a late night snack and activities, which you will regret the next day.
Vata II Cycle 2:00a.m. – 6:00a.m.
- Corresponds to the ascending universal currents which are used by meditators to achieve high spiritual states.
- If you wake up at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. and do spiritual exercise it will stay with you all day long as focused energy.
- If you sleep past 6:00a.m., you fall into lethargic Kapha time.