You are here
- Lok Adalat (LA) is a forum where the disputes/ cases pending in the court of law or at pre – litigation stage are settled/ compromised amicably.
- An award made by a Lok Adalat is deemed to be a decree of civil court and is final and binding on all parties and no appeal lies against thereto before any court.
- The following types of matters are being taken up by LA:
- Matrimonial/ Family disputes, Criminal Compoundable Offence cases, Land Acquisition cases, Labor Disputes, Workmen’s compensation, Bank Recovery cases, Pension cases, Housing Board and slum clearance cases and Housing cases, Consumer Grievance cases, Electricity matters, Telephone Bills disputes, Municipal matters including House Tax cases, Disputes with Cellular Companies viz. Airtel, Hutch, Tata Tele services etc.
- Fast Track Courts have been set up on the recommendation of the Eleventh Finance Commission, funded by Ministry of Finance since 2001 – 2002.
- State Govt. have been requested to dispose of the cases involving senior citizens, offences relating to women and also people with physical disabilities on priority basis through the existing fast track courts.
- The Scheme Computerization of City Civil Courts in the 4 metropolitan cities has completed the computerization of Chennai and Mumbai Civil Court.
- The Family Courts Act, 1984 envisages that a family court shall be set up in a city or town with a population of more than one million and at such other places as the State Govt. may deem necessary.