Every year during November and December a highly popular festival is celebrated in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh, the city of Arts, Crafts and Cuisines, known as '''Lucknow Festival''' or Lucknow Mahotsav.
Lucknow is among the top ten fastest growing non-major-metropolitan cities of India. It is the second largest city in Uttar Pradesh state. The unique combination of its cultured grace and newly acquired pace is its most promising feature that foretells well for the future.
It is mainly celebrated between 25th November and 5th December.
* The 15 days Lucknow Festival is mainly organized by U.P. Tourism and Government of India, which provides a platform for the local talents.
* The festival celebrates the culture, which provides an insight into the old, popular atmosphere of the city. Large colorful processions, various traditional dramas, Kathak dances in the style of the famous Lucknow Gharana, Sarangi and sitar recitals along with ghazals, qawalis and thumri, together create an astonishing festive atmosphere.
* Exciting events like horse races, flying kites, cock fighting and other traditional village games create an atmosphere of bygone popular Nawabi days.
* There is display of crafts. One can also taste the world famous Nawabi cuisines in this festival. People from different parts of the country come, not only to see the festival but many of them take part in various things also.
* The Lucknow Festival captures the undying elegance and brilliance of Lucknow. A brilliant exhibition of the arts, crafts, cuisines takes place. The festival is an once-in-a-lifetime experience.
* One can taste the traditional delicacies of Lakhnawi cuisine, starting from mouth-watering vegetarian cuisine to the lip-smacking non-vegetarian food for which Lucknow is famous.