==Ocean Development in India==
* Ocean Policy statement was prepared and brought out in 1982. The ocean policy statement is primarily aimed at utilization of marine living and non-living resources for societal benefits in sustainable manner.
* The Antarctica Research Program was initiated in 1981. Since then Weddel Sea Expendition and Krill Expedition for assessment of krill resources in Antarctic water.
* The Indian station maître situated in the central droning maud land of east Antarctica.
* First pilot wave power plant of Asia at Vizhingam in 1987 is the significant outcome directed towards social benefit.
* The Department has been converted into Ministry of Ocean Development in February 2006 and now the Ministry has been re-organized as Ministry of Earth Sciences on 12 July 2006.
* '''Dakshin Gangotri Glacier''', which has been monitored by Indian Scientists for the last 23 years in Antarctica has been declared as an '''Antarctica Specially Protected Area (ASPA)''' by the governing body of the Antarctic Treaty in its XXVIII Antarctic Treaty consultative Meeting (ATCM) held I Stockholm in June 2006.
* An Ice Core Laboratory to study the ice cores brought from the Antarctica, has become fully operational at '''NCAOR''', Goa.
* National Center for Antarctic and Ocean Research is an autonomous institution which completely dedicated to all the aspects of polar research and expeditions to Antarctica.
* '''National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT)''' is responsible for the development of technology for mining of polymetallic nodules from the seabed and other underwater components.