Omkareshwar is situated at the confluence of the Narmada and kaveri are the temples built in the medieval Brahmaniac style.Omkareahwar has one of the twelve Jyotirlingas enshrined at the temple of Shri Omkar Mandhata,set in picturesque surroundings.
Sightseeing in Omkareshwar
• Sri Omkar Mandhata:The temple stands on a one mile long,half mile wide island formed by the fork of the river Narmada.The soft stone of which it was constructed has lent its piable surface a rare degree of detailed work,of which the frieze figures on the upper portion are the most striking.Also intricately carved is the stone roof of the temple. Encircling the shrine are verandahs with columns which are carved in circles,polygons and squares.
• Siddhanath Temple:A fine example of early medieval brahminic architecture.Its unique feature is frieze of elephants carved upon a stone slab at its outer perimeter.
• 24Avatars:A cluster of Hindu and Jain temples,remarkable for their skilfull use of varied architectural modes.
• Satmatrika temple:6Kms,from Omkareshwar,a group of 10thcentury temples.
• Kajal Rani Cave:9kms from Omkareshwar temple,a particularly picturesque scenic spot.It has a panoramic view of broad acres and gently undulating landscape that stretches in unbroken harmony till the horizon.
How to Reach Omkareshwar
• Air:Nearest Airport,indore,77kms
• Rail:Nearest railhead is Omkareshwara road(12kms) on the Ratnam khandwa section on the western Railway.
• Road:Regular bus services to Indore,Ujjain,Khandwa and Omkareshwara Road.
• Places to visit:
• It includes Shri Omkara Madhata temple,siddnath Temple,24 Avatars,Satmatrika,temple and Kajal Rani Caves.
Accomodation in Omkareshwar
• HOLKAR GUEST HOUSE.
• FOREST&PWD REST HOUSES.
Hotels in Omkareshwar
Read Omkareshwar Hotels for a Bigger list of Hotels
- Tourist Cottages(MP Tourism)
- Roopmathi Road,Tel:263235
- Travellers Lodge,(MP Tourism)