To apply for Online Passport in India you have to follow the steps below,
Passport Application Form
You can log on to http://passport.gov.in, to a passport application form, then register online and take a print out of the application form and submit completed application form along with specified fee and necessary documents in nearest passport office or speed post centers or passport application form collection centers on given date and time.
Guidelines to fill the application Form
As the passport application form is machine readable, in online application form there are some columns which cannot be filled online, so you need to fill them by hand. There are some guidelines to fill in the application form.
- Use Capital letters only.
- Use black or blue ball pen only (some columns which cannot be filled online).
- Leave on box after completing a word while filling in the boxes.
- Write clearly in the boxes with out touching the boundaries.
- Adjust the information to fit in the given number of boxes.
- Do not write anything outside the box. Avoid over-writing.
- Complete the applications in full.
Apply for Passport
If you have registered online then you will be given an appointment date and time, you need to submit the printed application form in the passport office at the given date and time. The passport application can be submitted at
- The counter of the passport office
- The speed post centers
- District passport cells
- Passport collection centers
An application for a passport may be submitted personally or through a representative carrying an authority letter.
For people who have an urgency to travel and need passport there is a tatkal scheme in which passport is issued less time than the normal procedure. There will an additional fee for applying under tatkal scheme. For applying under tatkal scheme you need to mention in the online application form.
Before filling the online application form, please make sure you can submit the completed application form on the given date and time along with the specified fee and necessary documents.