The Planning Commission of India is a body set up in March, 1950 by a Resolution of the Government of India to carry out the objectives set out by the Government towards achieving economic growth. It is an extra constitutional and a non statutory body, set up by an executive order.
Objectives of the Planning Commission of India
The Planning Commission was set up with the following objectives:
• To promote a rapid rise in the standard of living of the people by efficient exploitation of the resources of the country
• Increasing production and offering opportunities to all for employment in the service of the community
Functions of the Planning Commission-
• Assessment of resources of the country
• Formulation of Five-Year Plans for effective use of these resources
• Determination of priorities, and allocation of resources for the Plans
• Determination of requisite machinery for successful implementation of the Plans
• Periodical appraisal of the progress of the Plan
• To formulate plans for the most effective and balanced utilization of country's resources
• To indicate the factors which are hampering economic development
Organisation- (as on 1st April 2010)
- Chairman: The Prime Minister is the Chairman of the Planning Commission. The present chairman is Dr. Manmohan Singh
- The Deputy Chairman: presently, Montek Singh Ahluwalia
- Minister of State and Deputy Minister: Shri V. Narayanasamy is the presently the Minister of State for planning
- Full time Members of the Commission:
As a composite body, provide advice and guidance to the subject Divisions for the formulation of Five Year Plans, Annual Plans, State Plans, Monitoring Plan Programmes, Projects and Schemes. Present full time members are:
Shri B. K. Chaturvedi, Saumitra Chaudhuri, Dr.(Ms.) Syeda Hameed, Dr. Narender Jadhav, Prof. Abhijit Sen, Dr. Mihir Shah, Dr. K. Kasturirangan and Sh. Arun Maira.
- Member Secretaries/ Secretaries of Planning Commission: Presently, Ms. Sudha Pillai.
The Planning Commission functions through several Divisions, each headed by a Senior Officer