Rahul Dravid (born on 11th January 1973) is a right hand middle order batsmen for India. He ha sbeen nicknamed "The wall" because of his solid batting technique. He has played major role
Rahul Dravid started playing cricket when he was just 12 years old. He represented india in under 15's, under 17's and under 19's before being selected for the national side.Rahul Dravid made his debut against Sri Lanka in 1996. He was picked as a replacement for Vinod Kambli. It was a nightmare debut for the then indian skipper who was selected again as a replacement for the injured sanjay manjrekar on the tour to england. Dravid made his test debut on the same tour along with sourav ganguly. Since then Dravid has constantly given match winning performances to cement a place in the national team. However it was in the year 2002 that dravid was seen as a premier batsman and a key figure in the team. His career stats reflect the same. Dravid has played 123 tests and scored 10,122 runs at an average of 54.51. In ODI's too Dravid has an outstanding record. He has played 333 ODI's for india in which he scored a staggering 10,585 runs at a superb average of 39.49.
Dravid in World Cups
Rahul Dravid's greatest quality has been that he has always stood up to the ocassion. He has delivered the goods when india needed it most. And his world cup records are a proof of this. He was the top scorer in the 1999 world cup. He was also the vice captain in the 2003 world cup where india reached the finals. Dravid was also involved in a partnership of over 300 runs with sourav ganguly. This is still the highest partnership in ODI's ever. From being named as a defensive batsman and "unfit" in ODI's dravid answered his critics by the right technique and a zeal to stay at the crease for a long time.
Awards and AchievementsThe following are some awards that Rahul Dravid has been honored with over the years.
- 1999: Ceat Cricketer of the 1999 World Cup
- 2000: Wisden Cricketer of the Year 2000
- 2004: Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy Winner (Awarded for ICC Player of the Year)
- 2004: Padma Shri
- 2004: ICC Test Player of The Year
- 2006: Captain of the ICC's Test Team.
Achievements as a CaptainRahul dravid has achieved the following records as a captain.
- Rahul Dravid is the only other Indian to be the top scorer(first one is Sachin Tendulkar - twice - 1996,2003) in a World Cup.
- Under his captaincy, India broke the record for registering the maximum number of consecutive ODI victories which was previously held by West Indies.