The Regional Institute of Correctional Administration was formed in the year 1979 to train the officers who are working in the Criminal Justice System of India. This Institute is sponsored by the four Southern States in India, namely Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Kerala. Prison and correctional officers are trained in this institute to correct the offenders and bring them in line with the main society. Officers from other states are also trained at a nominal cost.
The Regional Institute of Correctional Administration is located in Vellore in 15 acres of land and is near the Central prison. You can approach this office at
Regional Institute of Correctional Administration (RICA)
Thorapadi, Vellore - 632 002
Tamil Nadu, India.
Phone : +91-416-2267907, +91-416-2266507
E-mail : email@example.com
Access to the Regional Institute of Correctional Administration is possible through Air route, Rail route and Land route. This institute can be reached through air where Chennai and Bangalore are the near airports. Through rail route you can reach RICA from the Katpadi Junction which is 130 km from Chennai. It is just 12 kms from the Katpadi Junction. There is also a helipad, the parade ground, in the Central prison which can be used to reach RICA.
Members of the Management Board
Effective Management of the Institute is possible by the contribution of the board members. The board members of RICA are,
- the Director General of Prisons, Chennai,
- the Director General of Police (Prisons), Thiruvananthapuram
- the Director General and Inspector General of Prisons & Correctional Services in Hyderabad
- the Additional Director General of Police & Inspector General of Prisons, Bangalore.
The objectives of Regional Institute of Correctional Administration are many and some of them are,
- imparting training to the correctional officers in the rank or ranks equal to that of Assistant Jailors to Superintendent of Police in the four southern states of India. The same training is also given to other state officers and even for officers of other countries.
- Provide and promote the study of Correctional Administration by organizing courses with the needed facilities for training.
- Publish and do research in the areas of Correctional Administration.