==Rural Drinking Water Supply Program in India==
* A Technology Mission on drinking water named '''“National Drinking Water Mission” (NDWM)''' was launched in '''1986''', which subsequently was rechristened as '''“Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission” (RGNDWM)''' in '''1991''' with three key objectives:
(i) providing safe drinking water to all villages,
(ii) assisting local communities to maintain sources of safe drinking water in good condition; and
(iii) giving special attention for water supply to Scheduled Casts and Scheduled Tribes.
* '''Accelerated Rural Water Supply program (ARWSP)''' was launched during 1972-73. It is currently being implemented through the '''Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission'''.
* The scheme aims at coverage of all rural habitations with population of 100 and above, specially the un-reached ones, water quality monitoring and surveillance through a '''Catchment Area Approach'''.
'''Swajaldhara''' It was launched in '''December 2002''' to formulate, implement, operate and maintain drinking water projects by the village community.
* Ninety per cent funds towards the projects cost is provided by the '''Central Govt.''' and the beneficiary group has to contribute 10 per cent of the cost. The program of action plan has been prepared to cater all rural schools with drinking water facilities by 2006-07.
* '''Central Rural Sanitation Program''': Rural Sanitation is a state subject. The program was launched in 1986 to improve the quality of life of rural people and provide privacy and dignity to women.
* The concept of sanitation was expanded in 1993 to include personal hygiene, home sanitation, sage water and disposal of garbage, human excreta and waste water.
* '''Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC)''' It was introduced in March 2002 by replacing the Allocation based program. This is community led and people centered. To add vigour to the implementation of '''TSC''', '''Govt. of India'''has separately launched an award scheme '''“Nirmal Grameen puraskar (NGP)''' for fully sanitized and open defecation free '''Gram Panchayats''', '''block''' and '''districts'''.