Sawai Gandharva was actually known as Rambhau Kundgolkar . He was a very famous Hindustani vocalist of Indian classical music. He belonged to the Kirana Gharana and was a disciple of Ustad Abdul Karim Khan. He was born in Karnataka in the year 1886 in Kundgol. His family had no connections with music but he developed keen interest towards it.
- He started his career as a Marathi singer in a drama company. With the passing of time his talent came in front of people and he became a well known classical vocalist. He trained some great artist like Gangubai Hangal, Bhimsen Joshi, Feroze Dastur etc who later on carried the name of Kirana Gharana.
- Sawai Gandharva Sangeet Mahotsava is one of the most famous music festivals of India. This festival is organized by Arya Sangeet Prasarak Mandal in the city of Pune.
- This festival marks the death anniversary of Sawai Gandharva. It is organized by Pandit Bhimsen Joshi.
- This festival also holds huge historical importance and also in the history of Hindustani classical music. Prior to Indian independence there existed the system of court musicianship which got affected during the political division of India. During that time India lost many Hindu and Muslim talented musicians.
- This festival revived the culture as many eminent classical artists join this program.
- Sawai Gandharva Sangeet Mahotsava is attended by artists like Hirabai Badodekar, Dr.Vasantrao Deshpande, Begum Akhtar, Ustad Bismillah Khan, Zakir Hussain, Saraswati Rane, Ustad Ahmedjan Thirakwa, Kumar Gandharva, Kishori Amonkar, Pandit Hariprasad Chourasia, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, Pandit Ravishankar, Pandit Mallikarjun Mansoor, Pandit Shivkumar Sharma, Pandit Jitendra Abhisheki and Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi.
- Thus festival is attended by all the artists of the Gharanas of Indian classical music.