==Social Welfare Programmes of SC's and ST's in India==
'''The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989''', specifies offenses, which are considering as atrocities and provides for deterrent punishments for commission of the same. All states and UT’s except Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland have specified special courts for trial of offences under this Act.
'''Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship Scheme''' has been introduced during the year 2005-06.
* Fellowships, in the form of financial assistance, are to be provided to students belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes to pursue higher studies leading to award of M.Phil and Ph.D. degree.
* To protect the interests of Scheduled tribes with regards to Land alienation and other Social factors provisions of '''fifth schedule''' and '''sixth Schedule''' have been enshrined in the Constitution.
* The term '''Scheduled Tribes''' is defined in the Constitution of India under Article 366(25) as “such tribes or tribal communities as are deemed under Article 342 to be Scheduled Tribes for the purposes of this Constitution”.
'''Scheme for the Economic Development of Scheduled Castes'''
* Special Central Assistance and Scheduled Castes sub Plan.
* National Scheduled Castes Finance Financial and Development Corporation.
* National Safai Karamchari Finance and Development Corporation.
* State Scheduled Castes Development Corporation.
* Voluntary organizations working for Scheduled castes.
* Scheme for Rehabilitation of manual scavengers.
'''The criteria for specification of a community as Scheduled Tribe:'''
* Indications of Primitive Traits.
* Distinctive culture.
* Shyness of contract with the public at large.
* Geographical isolation i.e. backwardness.