State Consumer Protection Councils
- The Central Government shall, by notification, establish with effect from such date as it may specify in such notification, a Council to be known as the Central Consumer protection Council (hereinafter referred to as the central council.
- The State Council shall consist of the following members, namely:-
- The minister in charge of the consumer affairs in the central government, who shall be its chairman, and
- Such number of other official or non-official members representing such interest as may be prescribed by the State Government.
- Such number of other official or non-official members not exceeding ten, as may be nominated by the Central Government.
- The Central Council shall meet as and when necessary, but not at least one meeting of the council shall be held every year.
- The state council shall meet at such time and place as the chairmen may think fit and shall observe such procedure in regard to the transaction of its business as prescribed by the state Government.
Objects of the State Councils
The objects of every state council shall be to promote and protect within the state the rights of the consumers.
- the State government shall establish for every district, by notification, a council to be known as the district Consumer Protection council with effect from such date as it may specify in such notification.