Tamilnadu Common Entrance Test is the test that has to be taken for seeking admission into MBA programmes offered by Anna University and colleges affiliated to Anna University, The Government College of Technology Coimbatore, The Government Colleges of Engineering at Salem and Tirunelveli and to other Government aided and unaided Colleges. The list of schools accepting the scores of TANCET will be released by the Directorate of Technical Education, Tamilnadu.
- MBA: A pass in any Degree with 10 + 2 + 3/4 years pattern or a pass in any Degree with 10 + 3 (Diploma) + 3 years pattern.
- MCA: A pass in any degree with 10 + 2 + 3/4 years pattern with Mathematics at + 2 level or Mathematics/Statistics as one of the subjects at the degree level or a pass in 10 + 3 (Diploma) + 3 years pattern with Mathematics at Diploma level or Mathematics / Statistics as one of the subjects at the degree level.
- M.E./M.Tech./M.Arch./M.Plan.: Details of the eligibility conditions are available in the website:  Those who are appearing for final year / semester examination of the above qualifying degree in April / May 2008 can also apply for TANCET 2008.
Candidates can also obtain the Application form for TANCET either 1) in Person (or) 2) by Post (or) 3) by Internet Registration.
Application Form is common for all the three entrance tests. Candidates have to submit only one application form. The candidates have to pay a fee of Rs.300/- (Rs.150/- for Tamil Nadu SC / ST Candidates on production of a copy of Community Certificate) for getting an application form which will be the Examination Fee for any one of the Programmes either (1) M.B.A. or (2) M.C.A. or (3) M.E./M.Tech./M.Arch./M.Plan. If the candidate desires to attend more than one Entrance Test, for every additional programme, he / she has to enclose an additional DD for Rs.300/- (Rs.150/- for Tamil Nadu SC / ST Candidates) along with the filled in application form.
- IN PERSON: Application forms can be had IN PERSON on payment of Rs.300/- by cash or D.D. (Rs.150/- for Tamil Nadu SC / ST Candidates on production of a copy of Community Certificate) from the Co-ordinating Centres listed above and at the selected branches of the State Bank of India
- BY POST: By sending a Demand Draft for Rs.350/- (Rs.200/- for Tamil Nadu SC/ST Candidates with a copy of Community Certificate) along with a self-addressed slip and a requisition letter to the Secretary, TANCET, Examination Centre, Anna University Chennai, Chennai 600 025.
- BY INTERNET REGISTRATION: The Candidates can also register through internet by logging on to . After entering the required information in the application form, press the submit button, then take a printout, affix a photograph and affix the signature at the appropriate spaces provided. The printout application form along with the examination fee in the form of a D.D only (Tamil Nadu SC/ST candidates have to enclose a copy of the community certificate also) should be sent by speed/registered post to the address given below. The Demand Drafts should be drawn in favour of The Director, Entrance Examinations, Anna University Chennai, payable at Chennai, obtained from any Nationalized bank on or after 16.03.2008.
The test is split into 5 sections. Each section comprises 20 questions. Each question is an objective type multiple choice question with a question followed by 5 answer choices. Each question has exactly one correct answer. The 5 sections are as given below
Business situation analysis
Data has to be identified from a typical business situation and this data has to be used to evaluate business decisions. A passage containing a business situation will be given and this will be followed by various decision items based on the passage. 5 types of classifying the decisions will also be listed. Classification of the decision items under one of the five categories has to be done. This classification has to be relevant to the passage.
Passages followed by questions will be given. Based on the passage the answers have to be chosen. This is similar to the Reading Comprehension passages and questions given in CAT.
Mathematical problems of graduate level including those learnt at plus two level will be given in this section. Calculus, Theoretical Geometry, Shares and Debentures are some of the areas tested in this section.
A question followed by two pieces of information will be given. The answer has to be based on whether the information given is sufficient to answer the question. This is similar to Data sufficiency questions given in CAT.
Questions based on English usage, grammar, errors in usage, punctuation will be asked. Spotting the error in a given sentence is the type of question given under this section.
The admission will be given to candidate as per the candidate cut off score and the candidates eligibility.
The exams are held in the month of May.