Tamilnadu public service commission came into being under the Act of the Madras Legislature during the year 1929. Tamilnadu had the privilege to establish the first service commission in India. At first the Madras service commission started with three Members including the chairman and after reorganization of states several commissions were constituted.
During 1957 the Madras service commission turned into Madras public service commission. It was during 1970 that the Madras province was changed into Tamilnadu and that is when Madras public service commission was changed to Tamilnadu Public Service Commission (TNPC). Working of Tamilnadu Public Service commission (TNPC) is regulated under the articles 16, 234, 315 to 323 of the constitution of India, the Tamilnadu public service commission regulation, 1954 and the TNPC rules of procedure.
The current association of Tamilnadu public service commission is headed by a Chairman Thiru A.M. KASIVISHWANATHAN, IAS, (RETD ) and comprises of fourteen other honorable members who are being by the Governor of Tamilnadu. The commission conducts meets at several intervals to lay down necessary rules, guidelines, policies and conclusions on different issues that arise from time to time.
The Secretary to the commission Thiru. Ramesh Chand Meena, I.A.S., is held responsible for implementation of various timely decisions, in addition to handling daily administration, departmental promotion committees, oral tests for recruitment etc.
Roles and Responsibility of TNPSC
Tamilnadu Public Service Commission has to execute the given duties and functions specified in various articles of the constitution of India. Some of them are,
- Advice government on disciplinary matters affecting Government Servants
- Conducts examinations for appointment to the various civil services of the state.
- Make direct recruitment to State, Subordinate and Ministerial services.
- Advice Government on all matters relating to framing of recruitment rules
- Advice Government on principles to be followed in making appointments and promotions and transfers from one service to another service
- Conduct department examinations for Government Servants.
- Conduct the examinations on behalf of Ministry of Defence, Government of India, for admission to Rashtriya Indian Military College, Dehra Dun.