History of the magazine
The Calcutta Review was started in May, 1844, by Sir John Kaye, who was associated with the Corps of Bengal Artillery and also acted as the editor of the notable Calcutta daily "Bengal Hurkaru". With the help of the columns of this journal or magazine, Sir Kaye tried to bring to light information and opinions in relation to Indian affairs. Back at that time, the first publication contained 250 pages of articles, 6 pages of various notices and the Editor's statement regarding the purpose of setting up of the journal. He hoped to make it the finest English periodical in India.
The periodical proved to be quite a big success on the Bengali as well as National circuit. Sir Kaye retired due to ill health and repeated physical breakdowns just after the publication of four issues of the Magazine. He owned it till 1855, when Calcutta Review came to the stands in its fiftieth issue. Then he sold it to Meredith Townsend.
Then in 1912, the journal witnessed a breakdown in its production. Not a single issue was released that year. The second phase of production started in 1913 and continued till 1920. During this tenure, the journal was issued in quarterly manner, i.e. four times in a year. After another breakdown in 1921, the Calcutta Review was acquired in 1921 by the prestigious University of Calcutta. From 1921 continuing till the late 1940s, the Calcutta Review became one of the keen and heard voices of the newly rising political imbalance and developments in the country. Though, it lost its glory significantly in the post-independence period. In today's date, the Calcutta Review is published twice in a year containing articles of scholars representing various fields of discipline.
Types of Readers or Audiences
Since the time of its inception, the Calcutta review has always bore articles which target the emerging English educated Bengali middle class people. In its first four issues, the journal contained informative articles and contents on various local, regional and national topics, conducted forums and discussions on religion and the changing culture. Apart from these, it also sported poems, literary pieces and advertisements.
During the pre-independence period, the journal became very famous among the masses as it vividly described the ongoing political turmoil in the country and also gave an overview on the political movements going on in various parts if the country. With general passing of time, it also lost its significance after independence. In today's date, being published by the literary department of the University of Calcutta, the magazine stresses mainly on scholarly articles and writings.
Contact Address of the Calcutta Review
University of Calcutta Press
48, Hazra Road