Top 10 Engineering Colleges in West Bengal(2011)
West Bengal is one of the renowned places boasts of high-quality engineering colleges and has been a pioneer in developing the modern system of education all over India. The western model education system started from West Bengal. The engineering colleges are easily spotted all over the state representing an epitome for high standard and superior technical education. Some of the top engineering colleges in West Bengal are in the Kharagpur district, providing technical education to the students. The top engineering colleges in West Bengal offer aspirants with postgraduate and undergraduate engineering courses along with an assurance of high-quality training and education.
Some of the different disciplines offered by the top engineering colleges in West Bengal include Architecture, Chemical Engineering, Printing Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. The procedure of admission into the top engineering colleges in West Bengal is mainly done through highly-competitive Examinations like JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) which is conducted by WBBHSE (West Bengal Board of Higher Secondary Education). The specialty of the West Bengal colleges is to mass-produce high-quality engineers by providing proper training and research to the aspirants. There are also available scores of privately owned and government owned institutions with an objective to offer skilled professors and placement for almost all the students.
1. Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur The IIT Kharagpur or IIT KGP) is an autonomous engineering, technology, and management oriented institute of higher education established by the government of India in 1951. The first of the original five IITs to be established, it is recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the government of India. IIT Kharagpur has been ranked the best engineering college by Outlook magazine in 2009 and 2010
2. Faculty of Engineering Jadavpur University, Kolkata. Ph: +91-33-24146000
The college is rated as best among engineering institutions in West Bengal due to the maintenance of high academic standards and laboratory facilities. They also have efficient placement cell to provide best opportunities for students for M.Tech. Useful links: Faculty of Engineering
3. Bengal Engineering and Science University Howrah, West Bengal. Ph: +91-33-26684561
The institution offers undergraduate courses in various branches of engineering and technology. The facilities provided in the college are up to international standards and can create excellent professionals. Useful links: Bengal Engineering and Science University
4. National Institute of Technology Durgapur, Dist: Burdwan, West Bengal
The institute offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses & Ph.D. courses in the various discipline. It is an institute of national importance & ranked among the best engineering colleges in India. Useful link: National Institute of Technology
5. SIT (WBUT) Kolkata Salt lake, Sector 4, high qualityWest Bengal, India The School of Information Technology Kolkata (also SIT and formerly IIIT-C) is the Information Technology Department of the WBUT. The institution started as Indian Institute of Information Technology - Calcutta in 2000 with seed support from the government of West Bengal in association with the IT Industry.
6. Marine Engineering & Research Institute Kolkata, West Bengal. Ph: +91-33-24014673
MERI is rated as one of the premier Institute of world class in West Bengal with eminent instructors giving proper guidance. Modern instrumentation facilities provided in laboratories help students to improve skills. Useful links: Marine Engineering & Research Institute
7. Kalyani Govt. Engineering College Nadia, West Bengal. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Considering the value of human concerns and loyalty to the society high-quality education, KGEC provides modern facilities and coaching for students. They are dedicated to creating good citizens with thorough knowledge of basic concepts. Useful links: Kalyani Govt engineering College
8. Institute of Engineering and Management Electronic complex, Kolkata. Ph: +91-33-23578189
This private institution has been able to create solid industrial linkage and also has proven track records of placement. The excellent environmental condition for nurturing talents is another specialty of this institute. Useful links: Institute of Engineering and Management
9. Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College Jalpaiguri, West Bengal, India, Pin: 735102
JGEC is the second oldest of all technical institutions beside the Bengal Engineering and Science University (formerly Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur) in the state of West Bengal. At the time of its inception, JGEC was affiliated to the Calcutta University. For the period between 1963 and 1999, the college was affiliated to the University of North Bengal, then to the West Bengal University Of Technology. Useful links: Jalpaiguri Government Engineering College
10. Government College of Engineering & Ceramic Technology Kolkata, West Bengal. Ph: +91-33- 23701264
The college is counted as one among top centers providing undergraduate courses in ceramic technology and other branches of engineering. Eminent readers and lecturers are keen in incarnating engineers with responsibility and generosity. This college is one of the very few institutions where 100% students are employed through campus interviews by reputed Companies Useful links: Government College of Engineering & Ceramic Technology
Is The Standard Of Indian Engineering Colleges Deteriorating?
Plz share ur views:
Above is the question that is bound to emerge in everyone’s mind after reading the news today. AICTE or The All India Council for Technical Education has lowered the eligibility criteria for engineering college admissions from 50% in Class 12 (in physics, chemistry, and math or PCM group) to 45% for general category candidates and 40% for reserved category candidates.
The reason behind this move is said to be a response to a huge demand. Kapil Sibal (Union Minister for Human Resource Development) said, “We have to ultimately relax the norms because the demand is huge. It all depends on the market. For instance, this year, people have moved to mechanical engineering courses. Seats in colleges are vacant due to poor standards. We have to address the demand issue.”
Engineering colleges in Maharashtra/Andhrapradesh/Karnataka/Tamilnadu/UP & others which were finding it difficult to get candidates for degree courses have some reason to cheer now with the eligibility criteria for applicants being relaxed... Do u know Andhra Pradesh has 847 Engg Colleges (According to a recent survey)? Can u believe it?. Today India has more than 4500 Engg college............
The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), an advisory body in all matters relating to technical education, has relaxed the basic eligibility criteria for admissions to the first year engineering course.
The minimum criteria have been brought down to 45 per cent (40 per cent for reserved category) aggregate in physics, chemistry, and mathematics (PCM) group in standard XII exam, from 50 per cent in force till last year.
- I am sure most of you will agree that Engineering is a coveted profession in India, but at the same time, we must not forget that it’s a much-respected career. An engineer is ultimately held responsible for the technological advancements in a country.
'If the process of getting inside an engineering degree course is made so easy, students may not feel the importance for this career.
- It has come down to the rift between ‘quantity’ of engineers and ‘quality’ of engineers. Seeing the current state, one feels that India could use some technical torch-bearers to surpass new frontiers of engineering. Do we need thousands of average-rated engineers churning out of the factory-like colleges or a few really talented and worthy engineers would suffice?
- Today successful parents are saying:
My dear son/daughter don't go for Engg, coz it has no value. Nowadays Engineers are jobless, few of them are also doing the job as a contractor, computer seller etc etc....
Students are advised to post their view on this topic I would like to know your opinion.....