- The temples of khajuraho are India’s unique gift to the world,representing as they do a paean to life,to love,to joy,perfect in expression.Life,in every form and mood,has been captured in stone,testifying to the craftsman’s artistry and extraordinary breadth of vision of the Chandela Rajputs.
- The Khajuraho temples were built in the short span of hundred years,from 950-1050AD,in a truly inspired burst of creativity.
- Of the 85 original temples,22 have survived till today,constituting one of the world’s greatest artistic wonders.Architecturally,the Khajuraho temples are unique,being very different from the temple prototype of their period.Each stands on a high masonry platform with a marked upward direction in the structure,further enchanced by vertical projections to create the effect of grace and lightness.Each of the chief compartments is mounted by its own roof,grouped so that the highest is in the centre,and the lowest over the portico.
- A highly imaginative interpretation of the rising peaks of the Himalayas,abode of the Gods.
- The three main compartments are the entrance(ardhamandapa),assembly hall(mandapa),and sanctum(garbha griha),with further additions in the more developed temples.
How to reach Khajuraho Temples :
* AIR: Regular services link Khajuraho with Delhi,Agra and Varanasi. * Rail: The nearest railheads are Harpalpur 94kms,is a convenient rail head for those travelling from Delhi and Madras,Santa 117kms,on the Mumbai-Allahabad line of the Central Railway for those coming from Bombay,Kolkata and Varanasi. * Road: Khajuraho is connected by buses with Satna,Harpalpur,Jhansi and Mahoba.
Hotels in Khajuraho
• Chandela,Tel:272355/64,Fax:272365(STD CODE-07686) • Clarks Bundela,Chatrapur,Tel:242386/7,Fax:242385 • Clarks Khajuraho,Bamitha Marg,Tel:274421/3,Fax:274257 • Harmony,Tel:22135 • Khajuraho Ashoka,Chatarpur,Tel:244024/42,Fax:242239 • NOTE:Madhya Pradesh has four properties in Khajuraho.For reservations,contact the MPTDC,Central Reservations ,Bhopal • Tel:277434/2/3.
• Tour Operators: • Pleasure Tours,Tel:22235/4238 • College Tours,Tel:22260 • Tour Alliance,Tel:22049 • Khajuraho Tours,Tel:22060/42350 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 22060/42350 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 22060/42350 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
• Tourist Information centre: • GOVT of India Tourist office,Opp Western Group of temples, • Tel:242347/8 • Regional Office,MPSTDC,Chandela Cultural Complex • Tel:22051 • Information Centre,Bus stand, • Tel:22163.