You are here

Under What Circumstances Can You File A Complaint Against Builder/Developer/Housing With The Consumer Court?

The activities of the builders and the housing developer are most of the times annoying. Most of the times they refuse to listen and care about the neighbor people; they follow and keep doing what they think right that too with force. In that case, the neighbor people may feel helpless, even scared to take any action against them. It is suggested that if any person has any grievance against the builder or the housing develop the person should not fear and sit quite rather he or she should follow the below mentioned steps:

  • The person should let the builder know about the grievance and send a notice to the builder in writing.
  • The builder may refuse to accept the notice. Even in that case also there is nothing to be scared of. The proof of the notice i.e. the copy of the notice is to be retained and should be sent by registered post or Under Postal Certificate. The proof of the sending should also be retained.
  • The evidence of sending the notice is legitimate in the Consumer Court under Section 28A (3) of the Consumer Protection (Amendment) Act of 2002 and will be affirmed as the notice has been suitably served.

Any person can file a complaint against the builder, developer, housing with the consumer court under the following circumstances:

  • Delivered a house that does not comply with the specifications agreed upon.
  • Did not provide for free parking space within the compound / complex.
  • Charged higher than agreed amount.
  • Did not form co-operative housing society and handed it over to its members.
  • Did not provide for water storage tank.
  • Did not give a receipt against the paid amount.
  • Did not provide for enough ventilation and light.
  • Delivered a poor quality construction.
  • Did not deliver the house within the agreed time limit. If time limit not mentioned, it is assumed that the construction will be finished within maximum of 2 years from the date of start of work.
  • Did not give accounts for the expenses against which the builder has collected money, i.e. maintenance, electrical installations (transformer), etc.