XAT is one of the prestigious and very famous National level entrance exam for the students who are willing to join in MBA in all over the India.This exam was conducted by the Xavier Labour Research Institute in Jamshedpur which was otherwise called XLRI.The students should write this exam in order to get admission in a reputed college. If any students gets good score in this exam then they can select a good business college all over India. As XAT exam is very famous and the students can get their admisssion in the following colleges such as XIMB (Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar), LIBA (Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Chennai), BIM (Bharathidasan Institute of Management, Trichy) etc.
- XLRI, Jamshedpur (xlri.ac.in) has been conducting XLRI Admission Test (XAT, www.xlri.edu) on an all-India level for more than 50 years.
- There are more than 60 management institutes who are selecting students from XAT now.
- Applicants desirous of joining XLRI or any other institutions have to appear for XAT. The application from for XAL is available only online at www.xlr.edu. The exam is generally held on a Sunday in January every year. In 2010, it was conducted on 3rd January, 2010.
Eligibility for Xavier Admission Test (XAT)
A three-year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in any discipline recognized by the Association of Indian Universities as eligible for Post-Graduate studies in Management.
Admission Procedure in XLRI through Xavier Admission Test (XAT)
XAT application form can be obtained from XAT Office, XLRI Jamshedpur, 831001 and can also be obtained from select branches of State Bank of India (SBI) spread over 116 cities on payment of the specified amount. The applicant has to log on to the website http://www.xlri.edu and go to XAT registration. Here they have to fill in the XAT form on-line with personal details, XAT Bulletin No., date and SBI branch name and submit the form online. After submission the candidate will immediately get their XAT ID and password.
Xavier Admission Test (XAT) Exam Details
- XAT usually comprises 3 sections - with a time limit of 40 minutes for each of the sections. One section is Reading Comprehension and Verbal Ability questions.
- Another section is Quantitative Ability, Reasoning and Data Interpretation questions and the Third section is General Awareness Questions.
Dates of Xavier Admission Test (XAT)
- XAT exam is generally held after the CAT, between the 3rd week of December and 2nd week of January.
XAT has three sections-
• Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning (VA)
• Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QA) and
• Analytical Reasoning and Decision Making Ability (AR)
• The time given to attempt these three sections is 120 mintues. In addition, one is evaluated on an easy which one these three sections.
- The topic given is on a general social/political/economic issue, for example in XAT 2009 it was “The inherent vice of capitalism is unequal sharing of and the inherent virtue of socialism is equal sharing of misery” & in XAT 2008 it was “The consequence of gender imbalance- The third world war.”
- For the famous HR programmer of XLRI called personal management and industrial relations (PMIR) around 650 applicants having more than 92.60 percentile in VA, 80.36 percentile in QA, 84.36 percentile in RA, and over all 95.03 percentile were short listed for Group Discussion and having more than 90.13 percentile in VA, 91.31 percentile in QA, 90.01 percentile in RA, and over all 98.02 percentile were short listed for personal interview/GDs.
- A few of the better known colleges that accept XAT scores apart from Xavier’s Labour Research Institute (XLRI) Jamshedpur are as follows:
- SP Jain Institute of Mgt and research, Mumbai
- Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, Mumbai
- Xavier Institute of Management Bhubaneswar
- Indian Institute of Finance, New Delhi
- Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Chennai