Birth certificate is an important document of a person. In India it is regarded as a very important documentation that is treated as a valid age proof. The documentation has to done within the 7 days of the birth days or else there has to be a legal procedure followed in the court for getting the birth certificate. To obtain a Birth Certificate in Kolkata one has to make an application to the Kolkata municipal corporation. Further one has to follow the following steps to do the documentation entitled for three different kinds of birth. Steps which are to be followed are as under:-
• The office of Health officer is the place where the birth certificate can be obtained and the application should be made within a period of six weeks after birth.
• From the Kolkata municipal corporation head office sited on no.5 Surrendra Nath Bannerjee Road, Kolkata-700013, a printed certificate can be collected from this head office but these must be done only after 32 days of the birth of the baby. The health office is the place where the birth certificate can also be obtained.
• While getting this vital document the proposed name of the child should also be included.
• The first two steps that are mentioned in the series are to be followed by the guardians of only those newborns who took birth in private nursing homes and hospitals.
However there is a strict procedure to be followed in case of the children who are born in home. These steps are follows as under:-
• The health unit in the ward must be informed by the head of the family in which the newborn has taken birth.
• In these types of cases there birth certificate must be collected from the Kolkata Municipal Corporation which must urgently be done within 365 days of the child birth. If it is failed to be collected within this period then the application has to be made only to the first class magistrate as alias to the borough officer.
Again in case of those babies who are born in government and municipal hospitals have a different set of rules to be followed which are as under:-
• Medical certificate from the respective hospital must be presented to the ward in order to get the birth certificate.
• In case the period lapses this certificate can be obtained from the health department of the KMC only in lieu of the verified birth documents.
The KMC has arranged for the online application form for applying the birth certificate. More information is available with the official website of KMC.