Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. This festival is celebrated all over the world on 25th of December including India.
In India also Christmas is celebrated in a grand manner. India is a secular nation and it provides room for practice of all the religions in this world.
There are about 25million Christians in this country which is only 2.3% of the entire population. But in spite of this there is nothing less in observing the festival in India. In fact this is one of the most popular festivals in India.
- India and its cities start preparing for the celebrations one week before the festival. The churches are decorated with all the rituals and customs. The churches are decorated with poinsettias and candles. The cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and Kolkata, in fact all the cities get themselves decked with lights and Christmas trees. The trees are decorated with festoons, colored balls and different decorating items. The houses are decorated with streamers, festoons, colored papers and Christmas trees.
- The stores and shopping malls are decked up in the same way. Most of the business stores keep gifts like chocolates, cakes and fruits for the customers.
- People organize and keep parties on the Christmas Eve at their homes and they also go out with family and friends to celebrate the holiday. In the metropolitan cities of the country young people flock together to the party destinations and enjoy at its full. They send greeting to all their loved ones and wish each other saying ‘Merry Christmas’.
- It is a delight to see the Roman Catholic families celebrating in Mumbai and the other cities of Maharashtra. Every home is decorated at its best in the native style.
- Many Indians make a point to pay a visit to Goa to be a part of the celebrations there. The whole of Goa is celebrated with star shaped lanterns, small homemade lights or lamps and last but not the least Santa Clause the Christmas father.
- The schools often organize Christmas parties for the fun and entertainment of the children where Santa Clause comes and present gifts to the children.