You are here

F1 Visa

F1 Visa is a non immigrant, full time student visa that allows foreign students to study in the United States. F visas are provided through academic institutions. Vocation studies are not included in the F Visa category.

F1 Visa holders are not allowed to work in the US without prior approval from USCIS department (US Customs and Immigration Services). F1 Visa holders are allowed an on campus employment of 20 hours a week or less. Students are permitted to work on the two programs such as Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training for a total of 40 months.

Required Documents:
• Valid Passport of the native country
• Completed Visa application forms, DS 156, DS 157, DS 158, DSP 2019
• One recent photograph as specified in the application form
• A completed I-20-A-B form from the institution where the applicant will be attending the course of study.
• Original TOEFL, GRE, SAT, GMAT scores whichever is applicable for the institution of study.
• Demand drafts for the Visa application fees
• Most recent degree certificates, recent mark sheets

A F1 Visa applicant should have admission to a full time course with an affiliated institution in the United States, should have sufficient proficiency in English, should have completed the required qualification or degree for that course, and should show up ties with the home country to make sure they have intention of returning back to their home country after the course of study.

How do I start?

1) Start searching for the institutions from United States in the web that can give you the I-20 form. Choose the major and review the admission guidelines. Contact the school admission department for more details.
2) Take your TOEFL exam and other exams which is suitable for your major like GRE, GMAT, SAT etc.
3) Submit an application fees and registration document for the schools you choose or wish to study in. They would send the Student and Exchange Visitor Information receipt along with I-20 form.
4) Your receipts from the various schools to which you had applied with your scores would let you decide your school based on the aids provided, the rank of the school and the location of the school etc.,
5) Once decided with the place where you wish to study, Apply for the F-1 Visa with the required documents
6) Appear for the interview with the required documents.
7) Once the visa is approved, contact your school and let them know your arrival date. Arrange for your accommodations.
8) Pay your first semester tuition fees over credit card or drafts as required by the school of your study.