The Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG) was established by Government of India in 1994 under an Act of Parliament for providing scientific and technological education in the country. IIT Guwahati is the 6th member in the IIT family.
The campus of IIT Guwahati is located 20 km far from the heart of Guwahati city on the northern banks of river Brahamputra. The campus acquires 285 hectares of land for its academic, residential and other infrastructure.
Admission to different programmes offered at The Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG) is made on the basis of entrance examinations. The IITG admission council accepts the percentile score/rank obtained by a candidate as a basic standard to call a candidate for Interview/Group Discussion/Counselling, etc. However, the final admission is made on the basis of overall performance of a candidate in entrance examination/group discussion/interview/counseling etc.
At least 55% aggregate marks (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) for General category candidates and at least 50% aggregate marks (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) for SC/ST.
Cutoffs & Aggregate Cutoffs:-
1. Subject-wise cutoffs : Individual subject cutoffs have been determined on the basis that top 80% candidates qualify in each subject. The cutoff marks for the three subjects for General Category are:
Subject Cutoff Marks
2. Aggregate cutoff for the Common Merit List is 172. Aggregate cutoff was determined to declare the required no. of candidates (1.15 times the number of seats available) qualified:
Aggregate cutoff - 172
No. of candidates qualified - 7903
- This stats is according to the previous exam held( in 2008).
Seats & Courses Offered:
1. Biotechnology : 27+4+6+3;(1)
2. Chemical Engineering : 31+4+6+4;(1)
3. Chemical Science & Technology : 19+2+5+2;(1)
4. Civil Engineering : 34+5+7+4;(2)
5. Computer Science & Engineering : 37+5+8+4;(2)
6. Electrical Engineering : 25+3+6+3;(1)
7. Electronics Communication & Engineering : 33+4+7+4;(1)
8. Electronics & Electrical Comm. Engineering : 21+4+3+2;(1)
9. Engineering Physics : 19+2+5+2;(1)
10. Mathematics & Computing : 19+2+5+2;(1)
11. Mechanical Engineering : 52+7+11+6;(2)
One time payment : 2150
Payable every semester : 16650
Refundable caution deposit : 4000
Total fees payable at the time of admission : 22800
The Training & Placement Cell of IIT Guwahati handles all affairs of campus placements for the graduating students. The Training & Placement Cell is well equipped with excellent infrastructure to support each and every stage of the placement processes.
Stand Life Sc.
The study programmes offered at IIT Guwahati are residential in nature and hence the institute offers hostel facilities for both boys and girls. The accommodation is single seated. The hostel rooms of IIT Guwahati, equipped with all modern amenities, offer best living and learning environment Students get all the things of use within the campus and they do not require going outside to fulfill their daily needs. A round-the-clock canteen is in operation to cater to the needs of the students.
Situated on the banks of the beautiful and mighty river Brahmaputra, the IIT Guwahati campus is the latest addition to the IIT fraternity.
The faculty, staff members and the students reside in premises equipped with all the modern facilities and utilities. Guest to the faculties and students stay in institute's guest house.
Students have good access to sporting (both outdoor and indoor) and recreational facilities. A 24 hour canteen facilities is also available for serving food and snacks.
The campus also has a commercial complex and a Dispensary to cater to the additional needs of the student and staff members.
The Gymkhana, a hub for entertainment, excitement and education arranges for cultural activities like Alcheringa and Techniche, and SpicMacay. The students take active participation in these events.
Indian Institute of Technology
Phone: 91-0361- 2582005, 2690401
Dean of Faculty Affairs
Phone: 91-0361- 2582511
Dean of Administration
Phone: 91-0361-2582011, 2582712
Dean of Students Affairs
Phone: 91-0361- 2582083, 2582505
Dean of Academic Affairs
Phone: 91-0361- 2582660 (DID)
Phone: 91-0361- 2582016,2690761
Fax:0361 - 2690762