You are here
Panchakarma Therapy in Ayurveda
Opening The Main Gates Of Channels Of Healing
Panchakarma Therapy (Pentad Purificatory Procedures)
- The panchakarma is a shodhana method of treatment. But in ayurveda, there is a shamana treatment of diseases.
- This is just like symptomatic treatment of modern medicines. The panchakarma is pentad of purificatory procedures.
- The role of panchakarma is dislodging and expelling the toxins from each and every cell of the body as soon as the toxins are flushed out of the cells of the body.
- For example, excess mucus in the chest, bile in the small intestine, kapha in the stomach and gas accumulation in the large gut will be eliminated.
- Panchakarma not only cleanses the body but also the mind. The basic five processes are vaman (emesis), Virechana (purgation), Niruhavasti (cleaning decoction enema), Anuvasana vasti (Nutritive enema) and Nasya (errhinetherapy).
- These are as per charaka, the great ayurveda physician. The sushruta, the first surgeon of the world, has added rakta mokshana (blood letting) after clubbing niruhavasti and anuvasana vasti as one.
- Then totally it will becomes five as per sushruta. Blood letting is advised to cure blood disorders.
Pre –Operative Procedures
- Before the actual panchakarma methods of treatment are employed, the patient must be prepared.
- It is also necessary to assess whether the patient is fit to undergo this therapy, and also it is better to find a suitable time.
- These panchakarma treatments are employed to balance the doshas after flushing out the toxins from the body.
- The pre-operative procedures mainly included oleation therapy and sudation therapy. With these, morbid doshas are brought into alimentary tract and expelled outside.
- Now, first we can deal with oleation therapy.